If you or your loved one has any of the following issues, a visit for foot care with one of our registered nurses will help!
- poor circulation
- difficulty bending down
- dry cracked heels
- ingrown nails
- fungal nails
- callus, etc.
A qualified nurse will provide you with professional foot care. Foot care is offered to individuals that are diabetic, senior citizens or anyone who has trouble bending, cannot reach or see their feet. Services include the trimming of toe nails and attending to corns or calluses. The nurse will give you a general health assessment as well.
This service is by appointment only and is usually booked 4-6 weeks in advance. Your first appointment is a one hour long assessment; all further appointments are a half hour long. Fee $30.00
IF YOU ARE DIABETIC:
An increasing number of our population is coping with diabetes. Foot health is especially important for people with diabetes because high blood sugars cause loss of feeling (neuropathy) and a decrease in circulation in the feet. You may not feel an injury, blister, or burn on your foot or a foreign object (stone, pebble) in your shoe.
Taking care of your feet can greatly reduce the risk of problems. Here are some tips to help keep your feet healthy:
- Report any changes or injuries to your health care and foot care providers.
- Keep your blood glucose levels in your target range.
- Inspect your feet daily for sores, injuries, warm areas, and change in colour.
- Wash your feet daily.
- Make sure your shoes have good support and socks that fit well.
- Don’t walk barefoot.
- Avoid crossing your legs.
- Avoid heating pads and hot water bottles.
REGULAR FOOTCARE CONSISTS OF:
- Washing feet daily in warm water with an antiseptic soap.
- Drying well in between the toes.
- Using a moisturizing lotion on the tops and bottoms of the feet and around the heels, but do not put creams or powder between toes.
- Cutting the nails following the shape of the toe.
- Filing the nail after cutting to remove sharp edges.
For more information or to register for services, please contact your local office.